Hope for Children Kenya was started in the year 2000 and registered in 2010 as a goodwill for giving back to the community and also as a way of appreciating life because of the nature of life the founder went through as a young girl. Pamela Adhiambo (Director) was born in the rural set up of Nyanza, Kenya under the true hardship of poverty. Because of this, she only managed to learn upto grade 4 and dropped out of school to face the true nature of survival as a young girl working as a house help in Nairobi. She got married at an early age with the hope of getting a better life but that was not the case and after several attempts without success because of being abused and battered, she settled down to be a single woman raising her three children as a business woman. Based on her life story of not being able to go to school, she decided that she would give unfortunate children from different backgrounds an opportunity she never had and the orphanage was born.
Hope for Children Kenya is a home that provides shelter to 45 orphans and vulnerable children(26 boys and 19 girls) who because of a dark past have lost hope. We raise the children under the umbrella of a family, where the founder and home matron takes the position as the mother of all children. We aim to give each and every child an opportunity to dream again,rekindle hopes and create new life stories which will transform their lives to have a positive worldview.
The Home is located in Sosian Gate C, house number 478 in Kayole area, Embakasi district near PCEA Church just behind Shujaa Mall.
- Sickness of children and the challenge that comes with taking them to hospital when they are sick which becomes a risk to both the child and caregiver as well as catering to medical bills, medicine and consultations.
- Coping with basic needs provision for example the children are housed in a rented space,and paying rent is a challenge.
- Buying day to day food is a challenge especially considering providing a well balanced diet to ensure the health and strength of the kids.
- Challenge of supporting children to access digital learning platforms especially during the pandemic e.g providing laptops
- Having enough caregivers to cater for all the children is also a challenge.